Manuel Ortiz, Jr. First family member and first generation (Mexican American) to graduate from high school in 1946.

My parents had to quit school before the age of 13. My eldest brother was the first of my siblings to graduate from high school. Now, I am in graduate school. My parents and my brother were highly intelligent people who did not have the same educational opportunities as I have had. I am not smarter than they were; I was just lucky enough to have been born after World War II. The post-war years were a time when Mexican Americans vets and others were able to take advantage of the G.I. Bill (college and job benefits and housing). In addition, openly blantant racist behaviors was less tolerated by those, like my cousins. who had gone to war to defend freedom.Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wildcat Pow Wow U of AZ April 11 2008

The Price of Tomatoes

Barak, Hillary, and John: How much will gas be a year from now?